Empowering Entrepreneurs via Coaching & Innovation
January 3, 2023
In today's episode of the "The Runway Decade Podcast," hosts Bill Bush and Pete Bush, advisors at Horizon Financial Group talk to Colleen Bowler. She is an entrepreneur, an author, a very successful financial advisor and has now transitioned into another entrepreneurial endeavor. She also has coached many financial advisors and has developed a unique business to further help advisors reach other people and help other people
- 3:09: Colleen and Pete had known each other since 2008. On the side, she had been to the program called Strategic Coach, which is a coaching program for entrepreneurs and after three years they asked her to coach.
- 4:19: Those who are professional athletes, professional entertainers, they all know they need multiple coaches but we as entrepreneurs, we are kind of late to that game, says Colleen.
- 6:59: One of the things Pete really love about strategic coach is just the kind of overlapping concerns they have or things to work on as an entrepreneur regardless of what industry you are in.
- 8:10: If you are an entrepreneur and you have been in business three years and your income is over $250,000, you are in a real elite group of entrepreneurs because the average entrepreneur in the US and Canada makes $50,000 a year.
- 9:02: Colleen was raised in a family that really was about values and about generosity, but there wasn't a lot of focus, especially for women.
- 12:17: There needs to be more adoption and roles in the industry for females and as per Pete that's been gradually changing, but it needs to happen a little quicker.
- 15:25: Colleen is formulating tools and assessments that financial advisors can use in their practice, and they can expand the conversation in a process driven way that everybody can go through.
- 17:01: As a coach Bill knows that thinking about the problem is sometimes the hardest part of the profile.
- 18:02: In business or movements, you put money in, and the output is also money. But in other endeavors like charitable endeavors of all kinds, you may put money in, or you may put time and effort in, but money doesn't come out. Something else comes out, says Pete.
- 21:52: It doesn't matter how much money you have if you wake up in the morning and you don't have a purpose.
- 25:37: Colleen had many clients who one partner needed to be taken care of, and she had no one ever say she is not going to take care of her partner, but she did see a decrease in what they could do either for themselves in living
Three Key Points
- As per Colleen it's a great asset to working with advisors and doing the coaching phase with advisors because she believes financial advisors have a huge impact on the world.
- Colleen's book Generous Kids is about teaching our kids the habit of giving. Just like we teach them to brush their teeth, we can teach them the habit of giving.
- One of the best things we can do to increase longevity is to live in the present and be in the present and Colleen is trying to do more of that.
- "I have been able to see Pete's magic in unique process and I think runway decade is just a big piece of that." – Colleen
- "In the real-world people have been in business as entrepreneurs over 10 years is really small." – Pete
- "When I grew up, I really wanted to be a pediatrician, but that was not a possibility then at that time. I started a nurses training but decided I didn't want to do it." – Colleen
- "There are so many different ways now that we can do the coaching, like podcast, books, etc." – Colleen
The Runway Decade Podcast is also available here: